1. Team Name
2. Explain how you chose your team name
The name of our team is squarevolution. The word is a pun of the «square», «revolution» and «evolution». Square, because it consists of 4 persons as are the sides of a square. The sides are equal so we denote equality among the members of our team. Revolution and evolution because through our experience in the competition not only want to "evolve" and acquire knowledge and skills, but also give to the competition our own ideas and innovations. We want to make our own revolution.
3. Country/s represented
4. School/s represented
Yiannaki Talioti Lyceum
5. Town of School(s)
6. Number of males / Number of females on team
2 females, 2 males
7. Link to team Facebook page
8. Team Twitter handle
9. Link to team website
10. Briefly outline the history of your team
Our team was formed in October 2014 and this is the first time we are engaged with this competition. Actually, no team from our city has ever taken part in the competition before not even in the nationals. So we are extremely proud to be qualified in the world finals!
11. F1 in Schools achievements so far (i.e. Nat champions, other awards etc.)
We came 2nd at the National Finals.
12. Describe your team in three words
Commitment, Innovation, Collaboration
13. What do you think makes your World Final team unique from other teams?
Our team decided without the encouragement of teachers to take part in this competition. This shows the great willingness to work and gain new experiences that pervades all our members. Something that was evident from our very first meeting is the team spirit stemming mainly from the strong friendship we have between us.
14. Magic moment - What has been the most exciting F1 in Schools experience your team has had so far?
Our magic moment was when the results of the competition were announced and our team took second place. It was a very moving moment since we started as a rank outsider for the title!
15. We can laugh now - tell us about one of your teams’ funniest moments, maybe it wasn't so funny at the time!
Our funny moment happened when we were going to Nicosia, a city two hours away from our own, to give an interview to the largest station in the country, the driver of the car didn’t know the way and we got lost. The interview was about to go live in 10 minutes and we had no clue about our position. Luckily we found a driver that offered to guide us and we arrived just in time! It wasn’t so funny at the time but now we remember it and laugh!
16. What is the biggest challenge in this competition?
The biggest challenge we faced in the competition was learning Solidworks since none of us had a similar experience so far. Another challenge was to find the money and obtain sponsorships to cover our expenses.
17. What are you most looking forward to at the WFs?
We look forward to meet new people and make lifetime friends from all over the world!
18. What are your expectations for the WFs?
We expect an organized process with fair and objective review! We expect to gain specialized knowledge and once in a lifetime experiences! We are awaiting a dignified presence in the finals which will give us a very good position and why not the win!
19. Do you watch/are you interested in F1? Who’s your favourite driver(s)?
We are all very interested in Formula 1! Our favourite driver is a female, Susie Wolf.