1. Team Name
2. Explain how you chose your team name
The idea behind our team name is as simple as it sounds – to cover the 20-meter track in under one second. Moreover, 21m/s symbolizes the concept of F1, “Towards One Magnificent Singularity”, the singularity wherein ‘MS’ represents our team’s objectives as a plethora of acronyms – “Motion Spectacular”, “Moving Seamlessly”, “Magnificent Symbolism”, “Manufacturing Success”, “Marketing Strategies” and “Managing Sponsorships”. Moreover, the ‘2’ symbolizes the long and challenging path to success while the ‘1’ represents the desired position. All of this contributes towards creating the iconic 21m/s.
3. Country/s represented
United Arab Emirates
4. School/s represented
Our Own High School, Al Warqa’a, Dubai, U.A.E.
5. Town of School(s)
6. Number of males / Number of females on team
7. Teams Facebook page
8. Teams Twitter handle
9. Teams website
10. Briefly outline the history of your team
Our journey in the F1 in Schools Technology Challenge began in the year 2013. Six talented and unique individuals were united with one dream, to cover the track within a second. Over the past 2 years, 21m/s has proven that when syndicates of diverse and growing minds come together, something legendary is born. Since winning the ‘Best Design Portfolio’ award at the 2013 UAE National Finals, and ‘Overall Third Place’ at the 2014 UAE National Finals, 21m/s has evolved into the team it is today. Being selected to represent the United Arab Emirates in the 2015 World Finals in Singapore is just another dais for us to showcase the dynamism of our team and we are here to emerge as winners.
11. F1 in Schools achievements so far (i.e. Nat champions, other awards etc.)
• Best Design Portfolio at the 2013 UAE National Finals.
• Third Overall at the 2014 UAE National Finals.
• Selected to represent the United Arab Emirates at the 2015 F1 in Schools World Finals in Singapore.
12. Describe your team in three words
United. Classic. Spectacular.
13. What do you think makes your World Final team unique from other teams?
Our team has always had a professional aura and we have managed to uphold that. When it comes to delivering, we have always proved that we are one of the best. What makes us different is that we have managed to stick to our onset group of ideas, but have also advanced from our experiences. We keep in touch with our past year’s members to learn from their advice and to see how we have managed to change the whole perception of 21m/s from what it was three years ago to what it can be today.
14. Magic moment - What has been the most exciting F1 in Schools experience your team has had so far?
The most exciting moment for our team definitely has to be the time we came to know that we had been selected to represent the U.A.E. in the World Finals. We are charged to showcase what our team is capable of to the world.
15. We can laugh now - Tell us about one of your team’s funniest moments, maybe it wasn't so funny at the time!
One of our team’s funniest moments was when we were trying to explain the concept of the competition to a visitor during an exhibition. He asked us questions like ‘Where does the engine go?, ‘So, this is a toy?’, ‘Can my son make it?’. It was quite stressful trying to make him understand, but in the end he was on board and ended up giving us his business card!
16. What is the biggest challenge in this competition?
The biggest challenge in the competition is definitely time management. Three members of our team have responsibilities at school in addition to their commitments in the team. The whole team has to find a way to balance our team duties, studies and family all at the same time. It does seem to get stressful at times but from each other’s support we always managed to push through.
17. What are you most looking forward to at the WFs?
We are most looking forward to meeting teams from all around the world. Our team finds it very exciting that we get to meet people of different cultures and backgrounds and we share our different experiences of this competition. We are also looking forward to getting our car on the race track to see if the time and effort we put behind it pays off.
18. What are your expectations for the WFs?
An experience of a lifetime.
19. Do you watch/are you interested in F1? Who’s your favourite driver(s)?
Our team are enthusiasts of Formula 1 and our favourite driver has to be the legendary Lewis Hamilton.